On Saturdays from 11AM – 4PM, visitors are invited to enjoy free exhibitions tracing the history of the Presidio. These include three permanent history displays:
- the Mesa Room, which peels back the layers of history back from the 1970s to the 1930s to the 1880s to 1810 to the time when this was home to the Ohlone people.
- the Heritage Gallery, a large museum-like space with multi-media displays – including films, images, and artifacts.
- the Passage Ways hallway, which tells stories of different generations of solders who have come through this place.
This building is possibly the second-oldest building still standing in San Francisco. Parts of its adobe walls are original to the adobe used in the rebuilding of the old Spanish garrison. It was the military post Headquarters in the 1880s. Then it was expanded and remodeled in the 1900s, used as the social club exclusive to Army Officers and their families. Enlisted soldiers stationed on base, however, would never have seen the inside.
The remodeled interior design (in a “Spanish fantasy” style) is beautiful — such as in the grand room, Moraga Hall. The restaurant Colibri is also located here.
Indigenous history, Spanish, Yelamu, Ohlone, basket, Linda Yamane, Exclusion, Japanese incarceration, internment