The grand-statured building called The Presidio Landmark (which are now apartments) was once the U.S. Marine Hospital built by the Treasury Department (oddly, not the Army) in 1875. It was open from 1881-1912, and at times, there were sailors who died here who could not be returned home. They were laid to rest on a hillside behind the hospital.
As the years passed, the cemetery was inadvertently forgotten, and the Army used this spot as a landfill. Only in 1989 did the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers rediscover the site where some 500 sailors had been buried.
Starting in 2011, this area was restored to a dune habitat. This marker to the cemetery ensures that the service members are remembered, and rest in serene natural beauty.